5.26.2009

Coney Island, Pt. 4

Flaca, the man pictured at the beginning and end has been a struggling alcoholic for a while now. He has also been sleeping under the boardwalk at Coney Island. He recently decided to take part in a rehab program for 28 days in Queens starting today. All of his friends are really hoping he makes it through and cleans himself up a bit. Old habits are easy to fall into again. So, I'm hoping once that month passes pictures like the ones at the end of the slideshow won't happen anymore. He's a sensitive guy anyway, but he can't seem to process his issues very well when intoxicated. I wanted to document this so he would be able to see himself at this low point and maybe take it as a reference for how he can improve his life.

9 comments:

Drew said...

Great images as usual Tim. Love how number 14 came together. Sounds like a great personal project. Planning on giving it to MediaStorm?

Erin Ashley said...

i always love your work!

Tim Hussin said...

Thanks. I"m not sure where it will end up. I'm just enjoying hanging out with there and shooting. I grew up on the coast of Florida, so it's refreshing to see the expanse of water every so often.

Nina9 Studio said...

where is the guy in #14, and 15?

Tim Hussin said...

under the boardwalk

Mark Johnston said...

Did you change #15?

Tim Hussin said...

Yes, I did change it. After some though and discussion with a couple friends, I thought that the other photo was drawing unnecessary attention to the string of snot, which I thought detracted from the story. Even though it is telling, the story is not about that. I was hesitant to use that photo, but I thought that maybe having a record of Flaca in the depths of his problems would act as a reference for him once he does return from rehab. But the more I thought about it, I figured that it might be better to focus on his emotion rather than his snot.

Any thoughts on that?

mike said...

again very nice work

Melvin said...

wow, great post...
thanks for this post...
I like this blog.........

___________________
Melvin
Entertainment at one stop